Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Setting Out

We are moored in Tsehum Harbour, with a plan to leave early in the morning for Port Angeles and re-entry to the USA. If the weather continues favorable, we will make the passage from the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Astoria on Saturday and Sunday, and then make our way at leisure up the Columbia to Portland early next week. If the weather isn't favorable, we will linger in Canada a little longer.
Lingering in Canada allows us the luxury of feeling a little detached from US politics and the aftermath of the hurricane. Cut loose from television and radio, we rely on magazines and newspapers, and feel more calm. But sad and concerned about the world view, and our own view, of injustice and incompetence in the response to the hurricane.
Beauty and sadness, counterpoints.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Catherine,

What a nice site you've created! The writing is crisp and the voice is pleasing. And the watercolors, which I assume are yours, are excellent. Congratulations.

After leaving you near Desolation Brian and I made our way south past Powell River, where we found wind and good sailing. From that point we had vigorous northwesterlies all the way to Sucia, and then picked them up again in the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

We were home by the 25th. Recompression did not take long. In the weeks following, I finished last edits on a book, submitted it, and have resumed work on another. This retirement business is rougher than I thought it would be.

Regards,
Bill

September 15, 2005 8:36 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

That is an amazing sunset. I have a serious soft spot for sunset photos.

At your recommendation I have started "The Quiet American". I am only a couple chapters into it and I have to say that so far I am quite pleased.

I also checked out "My Life as a Fake" from the library and will be reading it next.

I will be sure to let you know what I think of both books as I make my way through them.

September 15, 2005 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home